Tugas ke 4, B.inggris bisnis 2
Nama : Bayu Hidayatulloh
NPM : 11208365
KLS : 4 EA 12
Matkul : B. Inggris bisnis 2 (Softskill)
Dalam kehidupan sehari-hari, sering kita berandai-andai. Misalnya, seandainya (jika) kamu mau jadi pacar saya, saya akan buat kamu orang paling bahagia di dunia. Seandainya saya kaya, saya akan bangun hotel bintang 5 di pantai Kuta. Seandainya saya punya sayap, saya akan terbang petikkan bintang untukmu. Dan seterusnya. Kalimat-kalimat seperti ini disebut kalimat pengandaian atau dalam bahasa Inggris disebut conditional sentences.
Dalam bahasa Inggris, conditional sentences pada umumnya memiliki ciri-ciri sebagai berikut:
a. digunakannya kata if dalam anak kalimat (subordinate clause). Karena clause ini diawali oleh if maka disebut if clause.
b. digunakannya modal auxiliary, seperti will, can, may, must, would, could, might, etc. pada pokok kalimat (main clause).
Conditional sentences dikelompokkan menjadi 2 tipe, yaitu: real conditional dan unreal/contrary to fact. Tulisan ini khusus membahas real conditionals,
SOAL CONDITIONAL SENTENCE
1. My younger brother thinks that everybody can become a teacher.He often asks himself . “What …. if I were a teacher?
A. do I do
B. will I do
C. would I do
D. am I doing
E. am I going to do
2. Had I realized that Tony was a bad driver. I …. my car.
A. would not lend him
B. did not lend him
C. will not lend him
D. would not have lent him
E. had not had
3. If she works harder, she ….. her paper in time.
A. will finish
B. would finish
C. has finished
D. will be finishing
E. will have finished
4. If my car were in the better condition, I would make a long trip now.
It may be concluded that I ….
A. have to stay at home
B. are enjoying the trip
C. prefer staying at home
D. enjoyed the trip
E. stayed at home
5. If there had been traffic lights at this intersection, there would not have been so many accident. we may conclude that
A. Drivers were always careful at this intersection
B. despite the traffic lights accident happen
C. traffic lights often doesn’t work
D. We didn’t find traffic light at this intersection
E. There are many traffic accident
6.If his mother had not been ill, Tony would have joined the study tour to Jakarta.
We conclude that Tony …..
A. has just come back from the study tour
B. went to Jakarta for Study tour
C. left his sick mother at home
D. refused to join the study tour to Jakarta
E. went to jakarta after her mother had recovered
7. If you hungry, you … take something to eat.
a. Were c. are
b. Was d. can
8. If Septia … after the barbeque, Tiwi will let the guests in.
a. Will have c. will play
b. Had play d. can playing
9. If you had spoken English, she … understood.
a. Can c. was
b. Would have d. could
10. We … swum in the sea if there had not been so many sharks there.
a. Can c. was
b. Would have d. could
11. If she had taken the bus, she would not have arrived on time.
a. Can c. was
b. Would d. could
12. If he ……..… well, he would win the game
A. play C. playing
B. played D. Plays
13. If you had been sick, you ……..… some
A. would have taken C. Would had take
B. could have taken D. Could had taken
14. You ……..… if you walk in the rain (sick)
A. will sicks C. Would sick
B. will sick D. Could sicks
15. If we don’t try to save the Borobudur temple,
A. will losed C. Could lose it
B. would lose it D. Will lose it
16. You wouldn’t pass the examination unless
you ……..… hard
A. studiying C.study
B. studied D. Studite
17. If he had played well, he ……..… won the
A. would have C. Is
B. could have D. Are
18. They will come if you ……..… them
A. invited C. Invite
B. inviting D. Invites
19. She ……..… type the letter if she had more
A. would C. can
B. could D. Was
20.If he ……..… well, he would win the game
A. play C. playing
B. played D. Plays
Kata kerja dalam bahasa Inggris juga dinyatakan dalam voice. Voice adalah istilah tata bahasa Inggris yang digunakan untuk menunjukkan hubungan kata kerja dan subjek (pokok kalimat).
Dalam bahasa Inggris dikenal dua voice, yaitu active dan passive.
Dalam kalimat passive, subjeknya dikenai atau menerima pekerjaan. Sedangkan kalimat active, subjeknya yang melakukan suatu tindakan atau pekerjaan.
Kalimat passive dibentuk dari dua bagian: to be + past participle.
Contoh active verbs dalam kalimat:
- I write a letter.
- He is buying a car.
- I keep the butter in the fridge.
- They stole the painting.
- The executive committee approved the new policy.
Contoh passive verbs dalam kalimat:
- A letter is written by me.
- A car is being bought by him.
- The butter is kept in the fridge.
- The painting was stolen.
- The new policy was approved by the executive committee.
Passive and active
1.They were met by him yesterday
A. he met them yesterday C. He was them yesterday
B. he are met them yesterday D. He were them met yesterday
Jawaban: A. He met them yesterday
2. They have been met by him
A. he has will met them C. He has met them
B. he was met them D. He were met them
Jawaban: C He has met them
3. This plant had been watered by her for 5 minutes when I got here
A. she had watered this plant for 5 minutes when i got here
B. she have watered this plant for 5 minutes when i got here
C. she was watered this plant for 5 minutes when i got here
D. she were watered this plant for 5 minutes when i got here
Jawaban: A. She had watered this plant for 5 minutes when I got here
4. This plant was being watered by her.
A. she are watering this plant
B. she were wastering this plant
C. she was watering this plant
D. she will wastering this plant
Jawaban : C. She was watering this plant
5. They would be being met by him.
A. he would be meeting them
B. he could be meeting them
C. he are be meeting them
D. he are be met them.
Jawaban : A.He would be meeting them
6. All the books in the library______by the minister of Finance last year.
A. Were given C. has given
B. gave D. give
7. It’s no use expecting an answer today, as your proposal_______by his mother.
A.had not yet been receive C. will not have been received yet
B. is not receive yet D. will receive
8. I became quite nervous when I knew that I would be _______by Mr. Kusman Aji.
A. Was interviewing C. interviewed
B. Interview D. Interviewing
9. The teacher told the students that they needed to revise their essays.
The passive of the underlined clause is:
a. Their essays were needed to revise.
b. their essays were need to be revising.
c. Their essays were needed to be revised.
d. Their essays needed to be revised.
10. Tono wasn’t offered the job.
We can also say:
a. Tono didn’t offer the job.
b. They don’t offer the job to Tono.
c. Tono was offering the job.
d. They were offering Tono the job.
11. “Which paintings will be exhibited tomorrow?”
“We don’t know yet. They …………………. by a team.”
a. are still being selected
b. are still selecting
c. still be selected
d. still selected
12. The street ……………………. when we passed yesterday.
a. has repaired
b. is being repaired
c. was being repaired
d. has been repaired
13. “When …………………?”
“Before World War I”
a. this hospital to be built
b. was this hospital being built
c. this hospital built
d. was this hospital built
14. Find the passive form of “They will look after you well”.
a. You will be looked after well.
b. They will be looked after you well.
c. You will be well looked after.
d. You will be to be looked after by them well.
15. A well-known architect is designing our new office.
The passive form is:
c. be designing
d. is designing
16. What is the active form of “English is spoken in the United States” ?
a. People in the US speak English.
b. In the US speak English.
c. Everybody speak English in the US.
d. Everybody spoke English in the US.
17. After the house ……………………. white, it looked beautiful.
a. had been painted
b. to be painting
c. had been painting
d. had painted
18. “What do people need for irrigation?”
The passive construction of the sentence is:
a. What is needed for irrigation?
b. What is irrigation needed for?
c. What people are needed for irrigation?
d. what is for irrigation needed?
19. Although the stolen car ……………………. the police cannot trace the thieves.
a. is being found
b. has found
c. has been found
d. had found
20. The child told us he had been left alone by his step mother in the empty building.
From the sentence above we know that:
a. The child had left his step mother alone in the empty building.
b. The child went to the empty building with his step mother, then she went away.
c. The child wanted to leave his step mother in the empty building.
d. The child had left his step mother before he went to the empty building.
Question tags adalah pertanyaan singkat yang diikutkan pada akhir sebuah kalimat untuk membuat pertanyaan. Contoh:
Kalimat:- She speaks English.
Pertanyaan:- Does she speak English?
Question Tag:- She speaks English, doesn’t she?
Question tag dibentuk dari sebuah kata kerja bantu dan subjek. Jika kalimat positif, kita biasanya menggunakan tag negatif, contoh:
• That’s a great song, isn’t it?
• She’s a lawyer, isn’t she?
Jika kalimat negatif, kita gunakan tag positif. Contoh:
• You‘re not busy, are you?
• This way isn’t right, is it?
Soal questions tag
1. She is a nurse, isn’t she?
2. They are doctors, aren’t they?
3. Andi is sick, isn’t he?
4. This car is very expensive, isn’t it?
5. Martha and his sister are beautiful, aren’t they?
6. We can do it by ourselves, can’t we?
7. Your father will fly to Medan, won’t he?
8. You were my school friend, weren’t you?
9. I am right, aren’t I?
10. The cat is hungry, isn’t it?
11. Handy likes swimming, doesn’t he?
12. I’m your best friend, aren’t I?
13. They work in our factory, don’t they?
14. The boys know Mrs. Lynn’s address, don’t they?
15. The man sells fruits, doesn’t he?
16. We met them last night, didn’t we?
17. You can handle it, can’t you?
18. Your sister has a cute cat, doesn’t she?
19. The tigers eat meat, don’t they?
20. I have invited you, haven’t I?
Modals adalah bagian dari auxiliary yang merupakan sekelompok kata bantu dan memberikan arti tambahan pada suatu kalimat dalam kalimat. Setelah modals harus diikuti dengan V1 .
Ada 2 bentuk modal ,yaitu present modals dan juga past modals.
modalspresent Modals past
Can = bisa
May = boleh
Must = harus
Will = akan
Should = harusnya Could
Ada banyak kata yang sama dan juga bisa disebut sebagai pengganti modals.
Can / could = be able to , manage to
May / might = probable , possible , presumable, perhaps
Must = have to , need to
Will / shall = be going to , be about to
Should = had better , ought to , be supposed to
Please see the following sentences. Please mark C if it is CORRECT, and I if it is INCORRECT.
1. May I borrow your book, please? <…..>C
2. I will to go to Semarang next week. <…..>C
3. She can not to visit that historic area. <…..>I
4. You may ride the motor cycle if you have Driving Lisence. <…..>I
5. Sheila can go to my house yesterday. <…..>C
6. Your glass is empty. …. I get you some more fresh water?
7. We …. like to visit that new store some day.
8. You are sick, but you don’t come hospital to see a doctor.
You …. visit him soon.
9. “I really don’t know why Tony didn’t come to the meeting”.
“There ….. something wrong with him.
A. might be
B. could be
C. will be
D. must have been
10. “Rini is old enough. She …. know better than the others about it.
D. may be
11. My motorcycle runs out of oil. I ….buy it because I will ride it to the meeting.
12. Yanti looks so pale and weak. He must be sick. The underlined sentence means:
A. He has to be sick
B. Maybe he is sick
C. It’s possible that he is sick.
D. I conclude that he is sick
13. “I could have somebody else to carry the heavy bags” It means :
A. I carried the heavy bags
B Somebody else carried the heavy bags for me
C. I asked someone carry the heavy bags.
D. I would carry the heavy bags myself.
14. They study hard,because next April they will take the examination
A. Will B. Should C. Can
15. You ____ permit to your mother.if you go to school
A. Must B. May C. Mustn’t
16. She ____ come here tommorow.
A. Will B. Can C. Must
17. He ____ speak English well if he took English course .
A. Will B. Can C. Could
18. You seem to be having trouble there. ____I help you?
A. Would B. Will C. Shall
19. Teddy got a bed score for his examination, ____study hard for next
A. Should have studied B. Could have studied C. Might have studied
20. My father ____ play guitar when he was child
A. Shall B. Can C. Could
BOTH AND BOTH OF
We use both/neither/either for two things. You can use these words with a noun (both books, neither book etc.).
For example, you are talking about going out to eat this evening. There are two restaurants where you can go. You say:
• Both restaurants are very good. (not ‘ the both restaurants’).
• Neither restaurant is expensive.
• We can go to either restaurant. I don’t mind. ( either=one or the other, it doesn’t matter which one)
Both of... / neither of…/ either of…
When we use both/neither/either + of, you always need the …/ these/ those…/ my/ yours/ his/ Tom’s…. (etc.). You cannot say ‘both of restaurants’. You have to say ‘both of the restaurants’, ‘both of those restaurants’ etc. :
• Both of these restaurants are very good.
Both and Both of
1. Both of the women…..from Jakarta.
a. are c. was
b. come d. is
2. All the wine….. in the dining room.
a. are c. was
b. does d. is
3. Do you like……
a. they both c. they all
b. them all d. are
4. ……those oranges are sweet.
A. both c. none of
b. none d. no
5. Both of…..attended the meeting last week.
a. us c. we
b. your d. they
6. we…….understand what is going on.
a. none of c. none
b. all of d. all
7. A: how many student are there in the room?
a. all of us c. none
b. both of us d. no
8. Both…….are very interesting.
a. book c. all
b. novels d. of
9. You…..must arrive on time everyday
a. all of c. all
b. no d. none
10. Does he want to help……them?
a. no c. none
b. both of d. of
DIRECT DAN INDIRECT SPEECH
Ada dua cara untuk mengungkapkan apa yang seseorang katakan yaitu: langsung (direct) dan tidak langsung (indirect/reported).
Pada kalimat langsung, kita mengulangi ucapan pembicara (speaker) sama persis. Kalimat langsung biasanya digunakan dalam percakapan di dalam buku, drama, ataupun dalam tanda kurung.
He said, ‘I have lost my umbrella.’
Kalimat langsung (direct) mempunyai dua bagian, yaitu: reporting sentence dan reported sentence. Reporting sentence adalah klausa yang berisi siapa yang berbicara, sedangkan reported sentence adalah klausa yang berisi apa yang dibicarakan.
Mike said, “I will come to your house.”
Sedangkan, pada kalimat tidak langsung (indirect), kita mengungkapkan maksud ucapan pembicara dengan ungkapan yang tidak sama persis.
He said (that) he had lost his umbrella.
PERUBAHAN KALIMAT LANGSUNG (DIRECT) MENJADI TIDAK LANGSUNG (INDIRECT)
A. Kalimat pernyataan (statement) pada kalimat tidak langsung (indirect)
Perubahan direct menjadi indirect pada statement ditandai dengan ‘that’.
Kalimat langsung yang reporting sentence-nya memiliki verb dalam bentuk present tense (simple present, present continuous, and present perfect atau future tense) maka tidak ada perubahan tenses pada reported sentence dalam bentuk tidak langsung (indirect). Ini biasanya terjadi apabila:
1. Melaporkan suatu percakapan yang masih berlangsung
2. Membaca surat dan melaporkan apa isi surat tersebut
3. Membaca perintah dan langsung melaporkannya pada waktu tersebut
4. Melaporkan pernyataan yang sering muncul
SOAL DIRECT DAN INDIRECT SPEECH
1. The woman says to him: “you play the piano well.”
The girl says to him that ………….
a. you play the piano well.
b. he play the piano well
c. he plays the piano well
d. he played the piano well
2. “Did he leave a message for me?”
“yes, he said………. tonight”.
a. he called you
b. he would call him
c. you called her
d. he would call you
3. “You mustn’t forget what I told you.”
She told me ………..
a. that I hadn’t to forget what she had told me
b. that I didn’t have to forget what I had told her.
c. that I mustn’t have forgotten what I told you.
d. that I didn’t have to forget what she had told me
4. Tony said to me: “Why does she sing so loudly?”
a. Tony said to me why does she sing so loudly
b. Tony asked me why did she sing so loudly.
c. Tony asked why does she sing so loudly
d. Tony asked me why she sang so loudly
5. “How many pieces of bread can you eat?” She said
a. She said how many pieces of bread I can eat
b. She wanted to know how many pieces of bread you cculd eat
c. She asked how could I eat a lot of bread
d. She asked how many pieces of bread I could eat
6. “Where did you go four days ago?” John asked.
Tony asked …….
a. where did I go four days ago
b. where I did go four days ago
c. Where I had gone four days before
d. where I had gone four days ago.
7. “Did you have an assignment last month? Father asked me
Father asked me ……
a. did I have an assignment last month
b. I did have an assignment last month
c. if I had had an assignment the month before
d. if I did have an assignment the month before
8. “Were you at the party last night?” Tony said.
a. Tony said that I was at the party the night be tofore
b. Tony wanted to know if he was at the party the night before
c. Tony asked me if I was at the party
d. Tony wanted to know if I had been at the party the night before
9. Rudy said to me, “Can I help you find a hotel?”
a. Rudy asked me if I could help her find a hotel
b. I wondered if my friend could help me find a hotel
c. Rudy said that I could help me find a hotel
d. Rudy asked me to find a hotel for him
10. Siska says,” The sun rises every morning.”
a. Siska says that the sun rises every morning.
b. siska said the sun morning
c. siska says asked the sun rises every morning
d. every morning rises the sun askerd siska.
11. John says, “I’m trying to get a taxi.”
a. I’m get a taxi trying, john asked
b. John says them trying to get a taxi.
c. John says that he is trying to get a taxi.
d. john asked to him trying get a taxi.
12 The doctor said to me, "Stop smoking!".
a. The doctor told me to stop smoking.
b. The stop smoking doctor said.
c. The doctor asked me stop the smoking
d. doctor said told me stop smoking.
13. "Get out of the car!" said the policeman.
a. The policeman ordered the car
b. The policeman ordered him to get out of the car.
c. The car get out said the policeman.
d. policeman get out of the car.
14. "Could you please be quiet," she said.
a. She asked me how be quiet c. She asked me to be quiet
b. she said please quiet d. why you quiet please
15. The man with the gun said to us, "Don't move!"
a. The man with the gun warned us not to move.
b. The man with the gun warned to moving.
c. the gun warned us not move out
d. the gun moving the man move
16. "It would be a good idea to see the dentist", said my mother.
a. My mother suggested I see the dentist. c. my mother hope dentist good.
b. good idea to see the dentist said my mother. d. that I was see the dentist.
17. The dentist said, "I think you should use a different toothbrush".
a. tootbrush should think the dentist.
b. the dentist commen this should use different toothbrush.
c. that I was not to forget different toothbrush.
d. The dentist recommended that I should use a different toothbrush.
18. My manager said, "I think we should examine the budget carefully at this meeting."
a. my manager examined this meeting carefully.
b. My manager proposed that we examine the budget carefully at the meeting.
c. this meeting at carefully examine budget.
d. this meeting we should manager examine budget carefully.
19. "Why don't you sleep overnight at my house?" she said.
a. She suggested that I sleep overnight at her house.
b. she said suggested overnight at her house
c. if I had sleeping overnight at my house.
d. talk to me why you sleeping at my house overnight.
20. "What is your name?" he asked me.
a. He asked me what my name was. c. me asked to him your name.
b. what is your name asked to me d. what name your talk me